5.08.2011

Historian talks about the 47 Ronin Movie



THE 47 RONIN - THE MOVIE

My latest project is as Historical Advisor for Universal Pictures for the forthcoming movie The 47 Ronin starring Keanu Reeves. It will be released in November 2012. Based on the famous story of the classic revenge attack in 1703, the story has been expanded to bring in fantasy elements and dramatic battles reminiscent of Lord of the Rings.

So should purists scoff at it as another example of Hollywood exaggeration?

Certainly not!
First, Japan has a long tradition of embellishing the story of the 47 Ronin, as will be explained in my forthcoming Osprey book, so we are in very good company.

Besides, in the souvenir shop in Banshu-Ako, home of the original 47 Ronin, you can buy a towel with each of the heroes shown in the guise of the children's character 'Hello Kitty'. Even Hollywood couldn't better that!

Second, all the fantasy figures you will see are firmly rooted in Japanese mythology, which gives it all an air of authenticity matched only by the amazing sets. I was involved early on in the design of the costumes, armour, weapons, flags, castles, temples and shrines, all of which are stunning.
As for other details, well, I am sworn to secrecy, but I have watched the filming and can guarantee that you are in for a treat.

As I said to the talented young Director Carl Rinsch only the other day, I am delighted at what they have done with my suggestions and have been proud to work on the movie.
............... sources; http://www.stephenturnbull.com/frameset_samuria.html

and http://keanubr.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/historiador-de-47-ronin-fala-sobre-o-filme/

Hiç yorum yok:


detail from my drawing

detail from my drawing

detail from my drawing

Twitpic updates: by celebfan

Bu gadget'ta bir hata oluştu